Duvet covers, china and crockpots not what you really need to start your married life? In a day and age where most couples move in together before getting married, the traditional wedding registry of small kitchen appliances and linens is becoming less important. Since couples that are already living together may have all the basics to starting a happy home, the ordinary wedding registry is getting a modern makeover. Here are a few ideas on how to create a unique registry.
- If you need a little bit of everything, try making a registry for guests to check out using Simple Registry or My Registry. Both sites let you add anything from online retailers and compile it into one list that can include everything from a blender to a bicycle.
- For the DIY couple, register for items that you need to fix up the kitchen or redo the living room from home improvement stores. You can register for everything from power tools and paint to big-ticket items like a new washer and dryer.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your guests to help out with your honeymoon. There are a lot of different sites that let you register for monetary donations to fund activities on your honeymoon with Honeyfund being one of the most popular websites. You can register for guests to contribute to something small (like getting coffee while on your romantic getaway) or bigger items (like the cost of a night at the hotel where you’re staying).
- For couples that are eco-conscious, ask guests to purchase “shares” in a local farm through Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) and in return you get a box of seasonal produce each week from the local farm you choose to partner with.
- Another great registry idea is to ask guests to donate to a charity of your choice. You can contact the charity directly to see if they have an online donation option or use I Do Foundation to register with a variety of charities.
- For non-tangible registry items like cooking classes, saving for a new house, helping with wedding expenses or starting a college fund for your child, try Upon Our Star. Guests can go to your page and donate to whatever you may need to start a bright future as a married couple.
With these ideas in mind, it’s important to remember that your wedding registry should reflect who you are as a couple and include items that the both of you will use and appreciate for years to come.