Couples are looking beyond the traditional idea of tiered wedding cakes and putting their own spin on wedding reception desserts. The big day is a reflection of both the bride and groom’s personality and redefining their wedding cake while adding their own eclectic touch is a great way to show that.
Alternatives to wedding cakes are also becoming more of a trend to save money. The prices of traditional wedding cakes have become shockingly expensive with large ornately decorated cakes costing up to $10 per slice.
We’ve taken a look at some alternatives to wedding cakes and made a list of the hottest trends.
- Cupcakes. Cupcakes were the start of the non-traditional cake trend and don’t show any sign of going out of style. Couples are making these bite-sized treats even more unique by choosing different flavors and fun themed toppers. Another option is cake pops, an updated version of the cupcake trend.
- Doughnuts. Doughnuts have been gaining more and more popularity as an unusual dessert option since last summer and seem to be the biggest of-the-moment sweet.
- Pies. Pies started to become the go-to unconventional wedding dessert around 2011 and are still very popular (especially with rustic outdoor receptions).
- Mini Cheesecakes. Mini cheesecakes in unique flavors have been trendy for the past few years and are still a great alternative.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries. For a healthier alternative to cake, couples have been choosing chocolate covered strawberries and other fruit dipped in chocolate.
- Ice Cream Sundae Bar. A make-your-own-sundae bar is another growing trend. Couples can splurge on unique and gourmet flavors and toppings for a fun and interactive dessert.
- Cookies and Milk Bar. A childhood favorite with a sophisticated twist; specialty cookies served with milk and spirited coffee beverages are an on-the-rise trend for uncommon dessert options.
- Mini Dessert Bar. For the bride and groom with a major sweet tooth, choosing four or five miniature desserts for guests to try has become a huge trend.